Shortbread with Creamy Gorgonzola, Prune Compote,
Walnuts and Honey
Recipe by Jackie Cameron
My grandmother's shortbread recipe adds a fun-filled dimension to the menu. Top this with prune compote, creamy gorgonzola, a drizzle of honey and a large, juicy, black, mission fig.
Yields : 6 nice sized pieces for this dish
100ml White Sugar
235gr Salted Butter
2 ½ cups Flour, sifted
¼ cup Castor Sugar
1) Cream the sugar and butter very well
2) Add the flour
3) Knead well and press into an 18cmX14cm tray making sure the shortbread mixture covers the base
4) Prick the shortbread very well all over
5) Place in the oven and bake at 160ºC for about 35minutes or until cooked.
6) Remove from the oven and sprinkle the shortbread with castor sugar. While still hot cut into squares
Prune Compote :
500g Dried Prunes
5 g Star Anise
10 whole cloves
5 ml Cinnamon Powder
1 Vanilla pod- split
4 cups Orange Juice
1 cup White Sugar
1) Place all the above ingredients into a pot and bring to the boil
2) Allow simmering until the fruit is soft, place into a container and allow cooling
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below.
I look forward to hearing from you.