Chicken and Broccoli Bake
Recipe by Robynne Balcomb
Robynne Balcomb, whom I refer to as "my little one," is a past trainee whose arm I have been trying to twist to leave her new-found passion for teaching children and to join us permanently. Her roots are still very foodie, she's an absolute "natural", and she jumps at any opportunity to help out. She recently assisted me in compiling my recipe book "Jackie Cameron at Home," which Penguin Publishers will have on the book shelves early next year. I couldn't have managed without her with all the food preparations for the photo-shoots, and her wonderfully creative food styling, critical to meeting our deadlines. More recently she was my "chef-model" for the launch of my 'all-female chef range' shoot. She sent through two recipes, which I can't wait to try. The cracker biscuits with her "Mum's chicken and broccoli bake" is wonderfully savoury and her coconut and yoghurt fridge tart of condensed and coconut milks, sounds like a hit in the Cameron household.
Serves : 4
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 400g chicken breast
- 1 onion, diced
- 300g mushrooms, sliced
- 500g broccoli
- 410g tin cream of mushroom soup
- 2 TBsp sherry or 2tsp sugar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tsp curry powder
- I cup grated cheese
- 10 cream cracker biscuits, crushed
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- Heat oil and sear chicken breasts.
- Add onions to the same pan and sauté lightly. Add mushrooms. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Boil broccoli in salted water. Don’t overcook.
- Combine chicken, broccoli and mushrooms in an oven proof dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix together mushroom soup, sherry, mayonnaise and curry powder. Mix well and pour over chicken.
- Mix melted butter with crushed cracker biscuits and grated cheese. Sprinkle over chicken and bake in preheated oven 180 C for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below.
I look forward to hearing from you.