Corn and Coconut Risotto
Recipe by Jackie Cameron
For something unusual try a corn-and-coconut-milk combination topped with Parma ham or crispy bacon. Add a few pieces of sushi ginger to enhance the freshness.
Yields : 4
- Oven dried out "Parma Ham" slices, two per person
- Pan seared chiffonade or rolled and sliced spinach
- Sushi ginger for taste
- 2 (300gr) Onions, peeled, cut in ¼
- 3 (12gr) Garlic Cloves
- 2 (367gr) Carrots, peeled, cut roughly
- 2 (92gr) Leeks cut into chunks
- ¼ (160gr) Celery, cut into chunks
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1sprig Fresh Thyme
- 10 Whole Black Peppercorns
- 2L Water
- Bring to the boil, turn down and allow simmering for 20 minutes.
- Strain and discard solids, place the liquid back into the pot on the heat.
- 35g salted Butter
- 30ml sunflower Oil
- 160g Onion, chopped
- 2 (8g) Garlic, crushed
- 160g Risotto Rice
- 200ml White Wine
- Vegetable Stock
- 1 tin Coconut Milk
- 2 corn-on-the-cob, slice off corn kernels to amount to 147g in all
- Before you start making the risotto make sure vegetable stock is on the heat.
- In a heavy based pot place the butter and oil amount.
- When melted and slightly browned, add the onions and garlic. Cook until translucent in colour.
- Add the risotto; make sure all the granules are covered with a layer of oil.
- Add the white wine, stirring all the time till the liquid is reduced.
- Then add heated coconut milk, stirring all the time.
- Add the vegetable stock small ladle by ladle at a time, stirring continuously until risotto is cooked- freeze or refrigerate left over stock. In the final minutes add the corn and cook. A lovely creamy risotto with a slight bite to it-al-dente.
- Serve with additional extras if required.
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below.
I look forward to hearing from you.