Recipe by Jackie Cameron
Fresh berries may be considered a humble dessert but served in a large bowl with your favourite ice cream and broken chunky nougat bits will change perceptions. The chilled creaminess, tartness and sweet gooeyness will take you back a few years - or more. It crosses the generation divide.
Yield : 1 Tray
250gr White Sugar
45ml Glucose / Corn Syrup
2 Egg Whites
5ml Vanilla Essence
1sheet Rice Paper (Supplier : FOODPAK, Pietermaritzburg - 033 3945309)
150gr Flaked Almonds, roasted and chopped
250gr Pecan nuts, roasted and chopped
Place the sugar, honey, glucose and water into a pot
1) Place the egg whites and vanilla essence into an electric mixing bowl with a whisk attachment attached.
2) For the sugar syrup, stir until the sugar is dissolved. Turn down the heat and allow simmering, until a temperature of a 143ºC is reached- use a sugar thermometer to gauge this.
3) When it gets to 141ºC, start whisking the egg whites until soft peak.
4) Gradually, on a medium speed, add the sugar syrup to the egg whites.
5) Continue whisking until the mixing bowl is cold to touch and you are able to roll a ball of nougat within your hand without making a sticky mess.
6) Remove the bowl from the machine and add the nuts by stirring.
7) Spray and Cook a tray, 16cm x 14cm. Cut the rice paper in half, place the one half on the bottom of the tray, with the rough side texture on the outside. Place the nougat filling inside, and the other half of the sheet of rice paper on top.
8) Cling wrap and allow to set overnight at room temperature.
9) Brake in chunks and serve with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and a selection of fresh Berries.
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below.
I look forward to hearing from you.