Christmas Leftovers Lunch
Recipes by Jackie Cameron
Lunch on the Day of Goodwill should be relaxed and stress-free. I could suggest recipes for pizza, pasta, risotto and quiche with all the leftover meat but, because my mom makes the very best glazed gammon, I choose to serve it on an elegant platter with a few mouth-watering salads. These include a creamy, spiced rice salad using the left-over rice. I wait 365 days for this treat! Its simplicity never ceases to impresses me.
*Spicy Rice Salad with fresh Nectarine Slices, homemade Aioli and Raisins
Yields : about 500 ml
6 Egg Yolks
15 ml Dijon Mustard
2-3 cloves of Garlic – finely chopped
15 ml warm Water
250 ml Olive Oil
250 ml Sunflower Oil
15 ml Lemon Juice
15 ml warm Water
Aioli (chef’s note: homemade mayonnaise flavoured with garlic)
1) Whisk the egg yolks, mustard, garlic and water very well until thick and creamy in colour.
2) Add both of the oils, to form a permanent emulsion, very slowly. (Chef’s note: This will prevent the Aioli from splitting and will also result in a thick Aioli. A perfect situation is when a spoon can stand up right in the Aioli when finished. A lot of whisking!)
3) Finish with lemon juice and warm water and set aside for later use
Yields : 4-6 portions
200 ml Aioli
2 t Durban Masala
140 g Onion (Skin on)
1 Garlic Clove
2 sprig Rosemary
2-3 cups cooked Rice
4 whole Nectarines or any stone fruit
1 cup Raisins
Salt and Pepper
1) Add the masala, grated onion, garlic and rosemary to the aioli
2) Place the rice into a large bowl, add sliced nectarines, raisins and finish with the aioli mixture
3) Season with salt and pepper
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below.
I look forward to hearing from you.