Brown Mushroom Risotto
Recipe by Jackie Cameron
Chunky mushroom risotto can be served to complement main courses, such as crispy sage-seared chicken breast; oven-roasted fillet; or have it just on its own for a vegetarian delight.
Yields : 4
Vegetable Stock :
- 2 (300gr) Onions, peeled, cut in ¼
- 3 (12gr) Garlic Cloves
- 2 (367gr) Carrots, peeled, cut roughly
- 2 (92gr) Leeks cut into chunks
- ¼ (160gr) Celery, cut into chunks
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1sprig Fresh Thyme
- 10 Whole Black Peppercorns
- 2L Water
- Bring to the boil, turn down and allow simmering for 20 minutes.
- Strain and discard solids, place the liquid back into the pot on the heat.
- 40g salted Butter
- 40ml sunflower Oil
- 280g Onion, chopped
- 12g Garlic, crushed
- 280g Risotto Rice
- 40ml dried mushroom powder (shittake powder), optional extra- if not available add double the amount of mushrooms
- 5-10ml truffle oil, to taste
- 200g mushrooms sliced, pan seared or cooked in a little butter
- Vegetable Stock, as per pea risotto recipe
- Before you start making the risotto make sure vegetable stock is on the heat
- In a heavy based pot place the butter and oil amount
- When melted and slightly browned, add the onions and garlic. Cook until translucent in colour
- Add the risotto; make sure all the granules are covered with a layer of oil
- Start adding the hot stock, stirring all the time till the liquid is reduced- small ladle by ladle at a time
- Finish with mushroom powder, truffle oil and well seared mushrooms, season well.
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below.
I look forward to hearing from you.